Tuesday, February 1, 2011

It's a bit wordy

This is my Jimmy John's hat. I wear this hat to work everyday that I work (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and the occassional pick up shift). I also work at Kimmel, but that won't last too much longer. This hat was chosen as the object for today, and stands alone, for a specific purpose. I just had to voice some opinions I have and this represents those opinions. You may move on from here, or you can brave what I have to say. But as the title suggests, it will get wordy.

I was doing the math today and I realized that in the four hours I worked today, I made $28. That's pathetic (minimum wage sucks). But when I did said math, I found myself getting super upset. There are people that don't work, yet they can have the luxury of going out and spending money at will. They get money from sources unknown to me, not that I need to know. I just know it's not work. Which lead to my thought of how the "old-fashioned ideas" of "hard-work and responsibility will prosper" have gone out the window. Nowadays, you could be on your laptop on Facebook in class and still graduate. You could be texting in class and still graduate. Hell! you could skip class and still graduate. And I'm not perfect, I'm not scolding people that do these things cause the truth is I've done them all at least once. But the fact that I got away with it and I'll still graduate astounds me. Remember when you were little and you had to do everything perfectly? I mean, standing on the bus while it was in motion was risky. You never stepped out of line, you never broke any rules. and now look. The things we can get away with. Not to spotlight my nerdy theatre geek in me, but let's go back to the Renaissance Era, Shakespeare's time. They didn't really have as many classes as we do now. Basic latin was about as far as it went. And you could not text, you could not get on a laptop. You couldn't do anything but repeat after the teacher and memorize memorize memorize. And if you didn't succeed, you wouldn't have a noble profession. You wouldn't support your family and you'd die of the plague. So that's quite the exaggeration, but you get my point, right? Shakespeare and his genius cohorts didn't have Facebook or Twitter or even Blogger.com to distract them from the hard-work that lay ahead and they are figures that we still study today. And then you look at the talent we are forced to face each day (teeny-boppers) and it's no surprise. So it upsets me to think that while I value hard-work and feel that it will be the cause of my success in the future, the truth is, it may not be. And it will hurt, deeply, when I get beat out by someone who spent their days of college getting high every night, drinking every night, and making nothing of their experiences at college.

That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment